This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive compensation if you make a purchase using links on this page.
When it comes to protecting your identity, in our opinion, there’s one company that’s the best at it. Identity Guard® offers a 30-day free trial, which provide users a credit report and score* based on data from all three major credit bureaus while helping to protect your wallet at the same time.
And if you’re worried about protecting you and your family from identity theft, you really need credit monitoring too. After all, your credit is a major part of the identity you should be trying to protect. And the best way to do that is to be aware of what’s happening with your credit at all times.
Signing up for the Identity Guard 30-day free trial is simple and only requires the usual personal information like name, contact info and social security number (in order to pull your credit report). Once you’ve completed the basics, you’ll be asked a series of questions that confirm your identity. Get any of these questions wrong and you’ll be asked a few more. Get those wrong and you won’t be able to try again for 72 hours. (makes sense right?)
Once you’ve confirmed you are who you say you are, you’ll be able to login and see just what Identity Guard has to offer.
What is Identity Guard?
Identity Guard is a service that provides a multilayered approach to identity theft protection. It is provided by Intersections, a company based in Chantilly, VA, and has been providing protection to over 47 million customers over the past twenty years.
While the focus of the service is primarily on comprehensive identity theft protection, where it offers many protective layers, Identity Guard is also a complete credit monitoring system, that not only provides you with regular updates on your credit scores, but also continuous monitoring of all three credit bureaus.
Identity Guard is recognized as an industry leader in the identity theft protection field, particularly in the areas of aftermarket service and customer support. Its’ parent company, Intersections, has a rating of A+ from the Better Business Bureau, where is has been accredited since 1996.
Some of the features provided by Identity Guard include:
- PC Antivirus Software – For all but the basic coverage plan, antivirus protection for your PC is available through Internet Security Suite by ZoneAlarm. This is an all inclusive PC protection package that provides antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall software at no additional charge. Customers have access to ZoneAlarm for as long as they have an Identity Guard membership./li>
- Account Access via Mobile App – You can access all of the Identity Guard services and features on your smartphone. The app is available for both iOS and Android phones. You can download the mobile app for quick and secure access to monitoring alerts, current credit scores and more.
- Customer Contact – Identity Guard offers customer contact by either phone or email, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM Eastern time, and Saturdays from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. For restoration services, customer care is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
How Identity Guard Helps You Monitor Your Credit
Identity Guard offers complete credit monitoring services. Depending on the plan you select, you can take advantage of the following services:
- 3-Bureau Credit Monitoring – This covers all three major credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. Many credit monitoring services cover only one bureau, but Identity Guard has your back on all three. You’ll be promptly alerted when there are new applications for credit cards‚ mortgages‚ or loans in your name.
- Credit Report Updates – These updates show certain changes in your credit file that may indicate fraud in your credit reports with each of the three bureaus, which can alert you to unauthorized activity.
- Credit Scores – Identity Guard will provide you with up-to-date credit scores based upon data found in your credit files. This will give you an opportunity to know what your scores are before applying for loans.
- 3-Bureau Credit Analyzer – Identity Guard’s Credit Analyzer is a simulation tool that can enable you to experiment with various scenarios and strategies to see how they will impact your credit. This includes making payments, transferring balances, opening or closing accounts, or making credit inquiries.
- kID Sure Child Monitoring Activation for Family Plan – If you select a family plan option, kID Sure Child Monitoring can be activated. It provides credit monitoring for your minor children, to help protect them from identity theft as well.
The Many Ways Identity Guard Protects Your Identity
Here’s where we get to the service that Identity Guard does best – identity theft protection.
Here are the various features and tools that they use to help protect your identity:
Social Security Number Monitoring – Identity Guard continuously scours thousands of databases‚ quickly alerting you when your Social Security number has been detected. This provides you with valuable time to re-secure your data, which will at least limit the damage done by the theft.
Online “Black Market” Monitoring – This is an increasingly important tool given the theft of entire information databases is on the rise. Identity Guard monitors the Internet on a 24/7 basis to detect if your personal information turns up on any of thousands of monitored websites, secret chat rooms and underground forums. They monitor these sources to see if your Social Security number, registered bank account numbers and credit card numbers turn up anywhere. This can prevent damage before it occurs.
Account Takeover Alerts – This service provides you with real-time alerts, letting you know that either you – or someone posing as you – is attempting to change your personal account information within its network of banks and creditors. If that information turns up, and it wasn’t you who authorized the changes, you will have an opportunity to intervene before any damage is done.
Identity Theft Victim Assistance – Identity Guard has a staff of highly trained experts dedicated to assist you in the recovery process in the event that you do become a victim of identity theft.
Lost Wallet Protection – Identity Guard will help you to cancel your credit card accounts and review your credit report for potential fraud, in the event that either your purse for your wallet have been lost or stolen. They can also send you up to $2,000 in emergency cash from one of your accounts, to enable you to have access to your money during the early recovery from the loss or theft.
$1 Million Identity Theft Insurance† – Identity Guard provides up to $1 million in identity insurance to cover losses due to identity theft, and to help you get your life back on track following the theft.
ID Vault Password Protection – ID Vault securely encrypts and stores your usernames‚ passwords and credit card information in one secure place with one-click access, making it easy and secure.
Address Change Monitoring – One of the most common indications of identity theft is a change in physical address. Any time your address is reported as having been changed in connection with an account, you will be alerted.
PC Keyboard Encryption Software – Using its PrivacyProtect software Identity Guard encrypts every keystroke you make on your PC‚ making them unintelligible to keyloggers who are trying to steal your passwords and PINs.
Identity Guard’s Plans & Pricing
Identity Guard is currently offering three different plans, with both tiered services and pricing. This includes the basic Essentials plan, the upgraded Total Protection plan, and the premium Platinum plan.
The specific services provided by each plan, as well as pricing, are included in the chart below:
|Social Security Number Monitoring||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Online “Black Market” Monitoring||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ID Verification Alerts||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Account Takeover Alerts||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Identity Theft Victim Assistance||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Lost Wallet Protection||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|$1 Million Identity Theft Insurance||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ID Vault Password Protection||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Address Change Monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|3-Bureau Credit Monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|Credit Report Updates||All 3 Bureaus||All 3 Bureaus|
|Credit Scores||All 3 Scores||All 3 Scores|
|Credit Score Updates||Quarterly||Monthly|
|3-Bureau Credit Analyzer||Yes||Yes|
|Account Access via Mobile App||Yes||Yes|
|Public Record Monitoring||Yes||Yes|
|PC Keyboard Encryption Software||Yes||Yes|
|PC Antivirus Software||Yes||Yes|
|Subscription Fee††||$8.99 per month –
FREE for the first 30 days
|$16.99 per month – FREE for the first 30 days||$22.99 per month – FREE for the first 30 days|
Special Pricing for Family Plans
Apart from the three plan levels, Identity Guard is also offering discounted pricing for individuals, couples and families, based on the Total Protection plan.
|Individual Plan||Covers a single adult||$16.99 per month – with a 30 day free trial|
|Couple Plan||Two adults in a single household||$26.99 per month|
|Family Plan||Two adults and minor children in a single household||$27.99 per month|
|Primary Member + Children||Primary member and minor children in a single household||$22.99 per month|
How to Sign Up For Identity Guard
You can sign up for any of Identity Guard’s three plans by clicking one of the links below. You will be directed to complete a one-page application, that requests information to establish your identity, as well as to enter credit card information.
Identity Guard offers the complete package to enable you to monitor your credit, and protect yourself and your family members from one of the fastest growing crimes of our time – identity theft. Sign up today, and start enjoying the protection you need.
Affiliate Disclosure: We receive compensation from some of the reviewed companies.
Credit scores are provided by CreditXpert based on data from the credit reporting bureaus.
†If you do not cancel your membership within the free trial period, your card will be charged either a monthly or annual fee, depending on the membership plan you choose. You may cancel your membership anytime simply by contacting us.
**ID Theft Insurance underwritten by insurance company subsidiaries or affiliates of American International Group‚ Inc. The description herein is a summary and intended for informational purposes only and does not include all terms‚ conditions and exclusions of the policies described. Please refer to the actual policies for terms‚ conditions‚ and exclusions of coverage. Coverage may not be available in all jurisdictions.